I have just returned from a very nice swish round Dundee during which no-one mentioned The Euston Manifesto. Not a solitary mention of it. It was almost as if it didn't exist, then I got back had a quick look round the net and within two minutes I had stumbled across not one but three references to the bloody thing. There are times when I think the internet is a gigantic hoax.
Anyway as it would appear my blogging licence revoked if I do not express an opinion on it, I'll lob my tuppence worth in. Well it's more of a confession than anything else. I haven't managed to read the thing in it's entirety, not because I have any difficulty reading. I read all the time it's easy. There's something about the manifesto that gives me the creeps. I think it's the first line
'We are democrats and progressives' Oh fuck off. It makes me very suspicious that line. I bet they all sit about saying 'what this country needs is a strong man in charge' when everyone's backs are turned.
I had a quick squint at some of the blogs that signed up and there it was 'Harry's Place'. I realise it's a very popular blog and I don't want to make it angry but it gives me the willies. I looked at it once and thought about adding a few nun jokes to the comments to try and lighten the mood but I was too scared. I felt certain I'd 'disappear' and turn up floating in a river somewhere- sinister. I had another look recently and found this post about the Iraq war. It was very angry, most indignant about people who were against the Iraq war. I was so shocked I nearly added a comment saying that I didn't mean any real harm but that I was just a bit reluctant to send other people's children out to fight wars when the country wasn't under threat and if you feel so strongly then why aren't you fighting you big girlie conshie? Honestly I felt like sending him a big white feather. Then I read on and thought better of it -he has the backing of 74% Iraqis who were wild for war. This fellow reckons that if you were against the war you need to apologize to them. Fancy! It's a bit of a pity they hadn't realised all this prior to the war then 74% of the Iraqi population could have got together stuffed the other 26% and sorted the whole mess out themselves.
I have to say I'm rubbish at being part of political groups. I've had a few goes at it it now and it's always the same. I turn up thinking ah yes here are my people- then they start talking and that's fine for a while until they go into a frenzy. Someone always ends up comparing something to The holocaust or Nazi Germany when it bears no relation whatsoever to either. I go up the road thinking these people are tits and give up.