4/02/2007

Is this what the old days were like?

Hello,
I was listening to the wireless during a car journey earlier this evening. The programme was one of the many being broadcast at the moment about the Falklands War. One of the people interviewed was Lord Carrington, the then Foreign Secretary. Readers he said something that made my jaw hit the floor.

I can't remember his exact quote but he said that he felt that the government of the time relied too much on intelligence which turned out to be faulty and as such he felt obliged to take responsibility for for complacency and failures in the Foreign Office and resign. I know it's hard to believe but I've checked and it really happened! He did draw on the obvious parallel with this government and dodgy intelligence.

Can you imagine any of the current lot behaving in a similar fashion?

Inspired by this almost unbelievable tale, I'd like to hear about who you'd like to resign from the current government and why.

Answers below please.

9 comments:

Graeme said...

John Reid! That his policies on asylum and immigration seem to cater directly to Daily Mail readers is reason enough.

Anonymous said...

Gordon Brown a robber baron of the highest order.

Louise Casey a binge drinking yob, who rather ironically runs the Respect taskforce.

Anonymous said...

All of them, as accessories before and after the crime!

Carrington was, as I have pointed out elsewhere, the last British cabinet minister to resign on the basis that his department had made an error. However, it should be noted that this time that well-known oxymoron, British Intelligence, got it wrong by *failing* to see the military threat unlike their contemporaries recently who saw, or at least, aquiesced in 'seeing', a military threat where none existed! In both cases the result was written in other men's blood.

iLL Man said...

Whilst I agree pretty much with David, I'd say that seeing John Reid get his would give me no end of satisfaction.....

Fidothedog said...

Again as per everyone else, the whole lot. Then have them all suicide in various funny ways, David Blunett would have to poach himself to death as apparently his father died that way!

Gavin said...

I'd like to see Terry Kelly as PM, just for a few months. I mean, he could hardly be much worse than the present lot, and he'd give us all a laugh!

Surreptitious Evil said...

I don't want any of them to resign. I want them all to be dragged out of their Whitehall offices and have the smug grins wiped off of their pathetic faces in a hail of steel-jacketed lead. (I need to remember to take my medication.)

As that is not going to happen. Brown.

S-E

Anonymous said...

I would personally like to see the whole front bench, their families, friends and pets rounded up and disemboweled on live TV. Then their remains hung drawn and quartered before being sent to the electic chair and given lethal injections, and finally being sent to prison for life. And It'll still be too good for 'em!

Clairwil said...

Some fine suggestions, though I tend to agree with Nookie Bear and my evil friend. Let's face it none of them have the integrity to take responsibility for their own failings, let alone those of their departments.

As for Tom Tyler's suggestion, I could only find that funny if I'd left the UK for good.