8/14/2007

Anthony H Wilson

Hello,
I'm most pissed off to note that Tony Wilson is no longer with us. More so that he died of cancer of all things.

Apart from releasing records by a few groups I'm fond of, I rather liked him as a person. He got stuff done on a shoestring in a way that I doubt we'll see again in a music industry run by bean counters.

Oh and before anyone starts the pretentious twat business allow me to compare and contrast good old Tony and ooooh to pick a name at random Kurt Cobain. Our Anthony gets a bid giddy over punk, starts a record company and puts out music by bands he likes all the while flirting with financial ruin. Kurt Cobain gets a bit giddy over punk, gets rich and whines about betraying his 'punk rock' ideals, becomes a junkie and kills himself. I know who I think is the bigger loss whatever his failings. Do it yourself is far more productive and interesting than whine by yourself despite what the royalties might suggest.

Finally if you haven't already done so do watch this very, very funny film about Anthony Wilson and Factory. His close involvement in the film speaks volumes about his ability to laugh at himself, which if you really couldn't stand the man should at least let you like him a bit, even grudgingly.

Cheerio

4 comments:

iLL Man said...

Do I just live in a bubble, or am I correct in believing that I haven't heard a fucking cheep about this until now?

A bit of both I suppose..........

Sad news.

Clairwil said...

Oh no it's not your fault the demise of Fopp got more attention. Come to think of it the death of Diana was less mourned than the death of Fopp in some quarters which should give those fellows wives, sisters, daughters and mothers all the reason they've ever needed to sod off and leave them to their own devices.

iLL Man said...

So it got fuck all in the news then? It's just that I don't read papers or watch tv, so all I can go on is the BBC website. I'll give them some leeway though, they may have reported it on Saturday morning when I wasn't looking.........They have an obit up, but you need to hunt for it.

Bollocks!

Anonymous said...

He died of a heart attack, not cancer.

He had a great life.